This topic is recently getting so greenish among my friends circle. During any kinda meeting or get together... at least one or two would be keen in digging up this matter. Initially I thought it will be quite difficult to contribute, but its actually vice-verse and also a win-win situation. You help the planet by saving energy and you help yourself by saving money.
One of my friend had sent this link http://www.storyofstuff.com/ which is extremely informative and has lot of tips on how not to waste energy. All you need is little time and patience to listen to this video.
After watching this video, I got adapted to below points just to appease myself.
- I ditched my Microwave, just not it saves energy; also it keeps us away from the health hazards of microwave cooking . Refer http://anncookbook.blogspot.com/2008/09/gift-from-hell-microwave-cooking.html
- In Summer, use the Fan - Rather cooling up the entire house.
- In Winter - Portable Heater
- I wont buy the Paper plates, cups and plastic spoons.
- Using Daylight CFL bulb - it saves energy and feels like sunny day inside the house
- I am using the cloth based floor mop(it lasts longer) instead the trendy paper based floor mop
- Once I am done watching T.V, I unplug the wire from switch board, instead just turning off the T.V ( Same applies for the rest of my electronic items)
- I don't use bottled water, I have a water filter which does it's job fantastic!
- I mostly get the locally grown vegetables and food items
- Luckily I am not a shopaholic - I only buy the things which are desperately in need.
- Oh, finally I don't have a need of paper towels in my kitchen I am getting adjusted to the cloth towels.
Well, I had not reached the absolute zenith of contribution towards Go Green, just figuring out few things every day and try to apply that in my life style. Currently I am working on how to use washing machine less and save energy? (!) will update once I am done with my research. Till then you all Stay Green !